Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Back to School

So tomorrow is my first day in my first placement school. I am both excited and nervous as hell!
For obvious reasons, I cannot reveal the name of the school, but I'm quietly confident that it's going to be a nice environment to work in.
We're in schools on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays, and then in uni on Monday and Tuesday, it's going to be strange not seeing all the lovely people on my course everyday!

Anyway, enough about schools, because I think we all had more than enough of it when we were at school ourself!

So, in my last post I said that Mr. Karen had made it to Canada alive, now I bring the good news that he has made it home - and in one piece too...isn't he clever!! He had a really good time, doing such great things as climbing the CN tower to see nothing but clouds, eating in a jungle themed restaurant and finally playing around with Linux and other such technical stuff that I don't understand. It's nice to have him back anyway : )

In other news, I read a piece in The Independent last week about certain laws in Pakistan. Basically, a chance for the rights of women in the country to move ahead greatly has spectacualrly failed due to the ruling party in Islamabad giving in and sticking to Sharia Law. What this means is that proposed changes to 'rape' law in the country will now not happen. So, when a woman is raped, she must produce four male witnesses who will confirm her account, otherwise, if she reports the rape without these witnesses, she herself risks being charged with adultery.
There is some hope, with the Law Minister Mohammad Wasi Zafar stating that "If there are four witnesses it will be tried under [Islamic Law], if there are not, it will be tried under the penal code"
What worries me more is that the article showed a picture of women belonging to the MMA Party, protesting against the proposed changes to the law.......
WHY?!
It's sad that women should agree that one of their counterparts could go through such an ordeal and then have to face the prospect of jail herself just because the assault upon her was not witnessed by 4 other men......???
I'd link to the article here, but I'm afraid the site does not provide free access to the whole article.
Maybe Bertrand Russell was right when he said that a religious education can hold people back in some ways....
However, I am still on the path to becoming an RE teacher so I have to disagree with some of his points....wish me luck for tomorrow.
Karen x

No comments: