Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Good day to you.

I have been reading a book on and off for a while now - 'Why I am not a Christian' by Bertrand Russell. I bought it after my last exam at uni, as I realised that I could now do some real studying instead of just learning random pieces of information that would get me a god mark. Anyway, his style of writing is quite easygoing, and the book is just a collection of essays. This is why I have found myself picking it up and then leaving it for a few weeks before I return to read another chapter.
I have written about this previously on another site, but I'd thought I'd post it again here. It seems more relevant to me now that I am embrking on my teacher training course in about two weeks. Anyway, heres the passage that I like...
Russell, B.(2005 reprint) Why I am Not A Christian. Routledge Classics: London, Pg 40-41.
"With our present industrial technique we can, if we choose, provide a tolerable subsistence for everybody. We could also secure that the world's population should be stationary if we were not prevented by the political influence of Churches which prefer war, pestilence, and famine to contraception. The knowledge exists by which happiness can be secured; the chief obstacle to its utilisation for that purpose is the teaching of religion.
Religion prevents our children from having a rational education; religion prevents us from removing the fundamental causes of war; religion prevents us from teaching the ethic of the scientific co-operation in place of the old fierce doctrines of sin and punishment. It is possible that mankind is on the threshold of a golden age; but, if so, it will be necessary first to slay the dragon that guards the door, and this dragon is religion
."
Now, I am hoping to become an RE teacher at the Secondary level, yet I agree with some of Russells's points! I find that I can agree that religion has been a cause of many many problems in the world, but what I cannot agree with, is that teaching children about relion somehow stunts their imagination, or understanding of the world. Of course, I must remember that this essay by Russell was first published in 1930, when the world was a different place. Maybe all of his points were quite valid back then, but the world has changed so much, as has Religious Education.
Religious Education now is not about doctrines, or learning rules and laws by which we should live. Rather, it is about understanding different people and their differing views and faiths. It is about realising the similarities and differences in cultures and religions and appreciating both. I believe it is important that children are still taught about religion, it is still one of the major things that influences the lives of people around the world everyday and so, cannot be ignored.
I have also ust finished reading a chapter in the book entitled 'Nice People' and it has kept me entertained, so maybe a post on that soon.
Karen
x

2 comments:

Karen said...

please excuse the spelling mistakes and/or missing letters in that post!

Lola Cherry Cola said...

Nice post me dear, I agree with your points myself